SAAM has one of the best aviation history research libraries around, and our librarian, Nigel Daw tells you asll about it in this short video filmed during our COVID shutdown by SAAM sponsor David Hales of Optical Design.
You can download our July newsletter here or just go to the Newsletters tab to browse past issues.
This month our President David Byrne updates you on how the Museum is virtually back to normal while coping well with the COVID-19 safety procedures. Other content includes a book review of Mark Lax’s Taking the Lead (a new library acquisition); Nicky van der Drift’s Operation Manna about the 1945 humanitarian food airlift to the Netherlands; restoration updates about the Mirage, Aero 145, Fairey Battle and SAATAS engine test rig; a couple of interesting RAAF History articles from WGCDR Ian Gibson; and Mike Milln’s profile of Jimmy Mollison and Amy Johnson in the context of the Aero Club.
Ex-RAAF SAAM member Steve Nelson clocked up many hours flying the DHC-4 Caribou and he talks about the aircraft in this short video filmed during our COVID lockdown. Steve is seated in SAAM’s Caribou A4-225 on display in Hangar 2. The aircraft is open to visitors so you can watch the video then climb aboard the aircraft next time you visit!
SAAM is now almost back to the new normal and the parking lot is filling up at last… but there’s loads of free parking!
There is effectively no limit on the number of visitors we can accommodate under the Stage 3 COVID requirements, so plan a day in the Port and be sure to visit us.
Here’s where we are at:
- Reception space limits us to welcoming 12 visitors at a time,
- We ask for cashless entry payment,
- We have hand sanitiser stations at reception and throughout both display hangars,
- We have fine-tuned our cleaning protocols to ensure all touch surfaces are regularly sanitised,
- The vast spaces of the display hangars make social distancing easy,
- The shop has been re-stocked with model kits for all ages, toys and books, and
- The C-47, Caribou and Orion are open to visitors with more to open soon.
AND note – until we are completely back to normal with all exhibits accessible we will maintain our discounted pricing! (See the home page side-bar for entry times and prices)