Single engine light aircraft
The aircraft was designed by Clem Reginald Sheppard in the 1930s. Clem was born in October 1914. When he left school he joined the family business, Sheppards Jewellers of Adelaide, and trained as a watchmaker. As a young man he developed a keen interest in aviation. In the early 1930s he designed and built a glider (the CS1).
He then designed and built a single seat aircraft, the CS2. The plans for this aircraft were first drawn in chalk on his parents’ lounge room floor at Kensington Park. The aircraft was later built in the backyard and garage. The fabric to cover the aircraft was sewn by his mother.
By 1938, after Clem had spent all his spare time and money, the aircraft was ready to fly. The CS2 had fold-back wings so it could be towed behind a car to Virginia, where it was flown on a number of occasions by Bill Maddocks. Bill was a Royal Aero Club of SA instructor.
On Clem Sheppard’s death, the aircraft was taken into store by the Royal Aero Club of SA. It came to the Museum in November 1987. The wings will be refitted following restoration.
One of the interesting parts of this aircraft is its engine from Henderson Motorcycles.
Engine: 4-cylinder Henderson Ace Motorcycle engine rated at 8 hp
Maximum take-off weight: 174 kg
Length: 5 m
Wingspan: 7.62 m
Height: 1.68 m
Cruising speed: unknown
Capacity: 1 pilot