We had three series of engine runs at our open day yesterday (29th Oct). Here are Walter Hill and Barry Williams running our 1,030hp Rolls Royce Merlin III which came out of a Fairey Battle. If you hit the Facebook icon on the side-bar, we’ve poster another video of the Armstrong Syddeley Cheetah IX in full voice. Sound up!
Our big day on Sunday 29th October is not to be missed! Come and join us 9:30am to 4:30pm.
There will be all sorts of things to do and see – and hear! We will have the Caribou and Kiowa cockpits open at no charge, and the F-111 for a nominal $5 to help us defray the costs of exhibiting the aircraft. Otherwise pretty much everything is free other than normal entry charges and a couple of bucks (actually $2.50) for a gourmet slow-cooked sausage sizzle… and also cold drinks and the Koffee Van for all sorts of coffees and ice creams.
Barossa Helicopters will be giving their ever-popular scenic flights around the Port for $40/seat, weather permitting of course.
But the jumping castle is free and you can watch and listen to the Merlin and a couple of big radials running, the Humber Car Club will be there, Taskforce 72 will have a display of 1:72 scale working ship models – and of course you can enjoy browsing through our two display hangars and all the historic aircraft and artefacts in our collection.
Oh – and our shop has a huge range of aircraft model kits for serious modellers through to kids, plus toys and novelties. And our librarian will have a wide selection of second-hand aviation books for sale too!
So click on young Lachlan, who is enjoying himself piloting the Aero Commander, and download the full program. Come and join him on the day!
Alan contributed hugely to the Museum. He joined in 1998 and served on its Executive Committee from 2001 to 2008, including for five years as our Secretary. He founded our library soon after joining, with the gift of several hundred of his own books, and he founded the Museum’s History Group in 2005. He established a filing system in the library for historically significant documentation, and constantly added to it through his life-long fascination with aviation history and research. He was made a Life Member in 2015.
Alan’s aviation interests were much wider than just our Museum though. He was a founding member and was elected as Secretary of the Soaring Club of SA in 1943, when he was undergoing flight training with the RAAF. He established a distance gliding record with Harry Schneider in 1968. He served as Secretary of the Royal Aero Club of SA from 1949 until 1976. He received the Royal Aero Club Federation of Australia’s Federation Award in 1971 for his services to the aero club movement, and the Helmut Appitz Memorial Medal in 1973 for his services to the Adelaide Soaring Club. He was a long-term member of the RAAF Association and was presented with a Distinguished Service Award in 2013 for his services to the Mitcham Branch.
Unsurprisingly, given this life-long dedication to aviation and volunteerism, he was awarded an OAM in the Queen’s Birthday Honours last year.
Vale Alan – we are going to miss you.
SAAM’s restoration/reconstruction of Fairey Battle N2188 is progressing well. Earlier this month the vertical fin, rudder and elevators were added to the horizontal stabilisers and aft fuselage section already assembled with the tailwheel and tail cone. The assembled structure gives a graphic demonstration of just how big this aircraft is going to be…
The assembly went well, although it took quite a number of volunteers to align the elevators for attachment as you can see in the smaller photograph!
The elevators are to be removed again to be fabric covered, then reattached with the various fuselage fairings installed.
SAAM’s History Group Chairman, Peter Ingman’s profile of the RAAF at Mt Gambier 1937-1947 is available for download – just click on the image below. Peter tells the story of the RAAF’s early interest in Mt Gambier Airport immediately pre-WWII leading to its development as 2AOS – No. 2 Air Observers School – under the Empire Air Training Scheme. This is the second in a series of profiles Peter is writing about South Australia’s contribution to the EATS. He has also written the history of 2BAGS – No. 2 Bombing & Gunnery School – in Port Pirie, which is also under the History Group tab/World War II. Have a browse – there’s lots of good reading there!
Now all our Chinese friends can scan our UWAI smart decal with their smartphones and learn all about us in their own language…
This smartphone app was launched by the SA Tourism Minister Leon Bignell on 8 September to help Chinese visitors navigate their way through SA’s tourism venues. We are very happy to be part of the network and look forward to welcoming more Chinese friends!
SAAM is making great progress on its restoration of the CC-1 replica, with the wings and tail surfaces patched/re-covered and re-attached to the aircraft.
The CC-1 is a replica of Clyde Cessna’s first design, built by Gordon Lewis and his engineers at Rossair from original plans in 1966 for the National Air Show. It was donated to SAAM by Gordon’s family a couple of years ago – so restoration is taking a little longer than the original build!