HALL CHEROKEE II GLIDER VH-GPR
Single seat glider
History of VH-GPR
The Cherokee II designed by Stan Hall was introduced in 1956 for amateur construction from plans. It has a wooden airframe covered with fabric. It was launched by either a winch or by a tow-plane.
VH-GPR was built by Robert Blunt from Deniliquin , NSW in 1966, and was last owned by Lloyd Stewart and operated from Lochiel in South Australia. It was kindly donated to SAAM by Lloyd and Hedley Stewart in mid-2011, and is displayed in the main hangar suspended from the roof above the Canberra.
History of Type
The Hall Cherokee II is a high wing, single seat glider designed in the USA by Stan Hall, and was designed for home construction from a set of plans. Its low cost and ease of construction made it a popular home-built glider.
The Cherokee II is of all-wood construction covered in doped fabric. It has a fixed single wheel undercarriage and has a dual spar wing with spoilers on top and removable outer wing panels for ease of ground transportation.
Around 100 were constructed in North America and Australia.
Weight : Empty 154kg, gross 240kg
Length : 3.6m
Wingspan : 12.2m
Maximum Glide Ratio : 23:1 at 74 km/h (46 mph)
Crew : 1 pilot