HORNET 130S FLYING WING
The Hornet Flying Wing was a product of the sport aircraft boom of the 1970s. It was manufactured by Free Flight Aviation Pty Ltd, a local South Australian company based at Lonsdale. Designed by David Betteridge, an aircraft engineer, the Hornet 130S was first flown from the Noarlunga Airfield on 8 March 1979 by pilot Colin Scott. The last flight was undertaken from Aldinga on 22 March 1981.
The aircraft was designed to conform to FAR 23 (US Airworthiness Code), and Australia’s ANO 95-10. However, the radical design was not taken up and the lack of sales resulted in the demise of Free Flight Aviation, concluding with a sale of company assets on 26 October 1984. In total there were four variants built during development. The 130S Hornet came to the Museum on 23 May 1992. The aircraft is most noteworthy for its tail-less design incorporating a ducted propeller.
The Hornet 130S will be restored and placed in the main hangar.
NOMAD N22 VH-SUP
History of VH-SUP
This Nomad was the first of two prototypes built. It was registered as VH-SUP on 1 July 1971 to the Commonwealth Department of Supply/Government Aircraft Factories. It was involved in extensive test flying for six years. On 25 July 1977 it was struck off the Civil Register as ‘Withdrawn from Use’. It was disposed of to Crawford Productions by 1986 and used as a ‘prop’ in the television series The Flying Doctors. Although painted in RFDS colours, it never flew in that scheme. When finished with the TV series it was purchased by the Ballarat Aviation Museum. It came to Port Adelaide in June 2002.
History of Type
During the 1960s the Government Aircraft Factories at Fishermen’s Bend, Victoria, began designing a small utility transport intended to provide production activity after the completion of the RAAF Mirage program. The project was aimed at both civil and military needs. Two prototypes were built. The first, VH-SUP, made its first flight on 23 July 1971, and the second, VH-SUR, first flew on 5 December 1971.
In 1976 the N24 version – with a 61 cm (24 in) increased length in the nose and 1.14 m (45 in) increase in cabin length – flew for the first time. A later N24A development had the maximum take-off weight increased from 3,855 kg (8,500 lb) to 4,264 kg (9,400 lb). The American Company Wipline developed floats for the Nomad, and fitted them initially to aircraft c/n 63 in 1978.
The Nomad has been used for a variety of services: aerial ambulance, flying doctor work, aerial survey and mapping, charter flights, airline services, scientific research and tracking. Nomads were sold to military operators such as the Australian Army, PNG Defence Force, Indonesian Navy, Philippine Air Force, and Royal Thai Air Force. They were also used by Australian Customs. Production ended in 1982 after 170 Nomads had been built.
In 2009 Gippsland Aeronautics from Morwell announced their intention to put the Nomad type back into production.
Hot Air Manned Free Balloon
History of VH-NOV
VH-HOV is a hot air manned free balloon – it was manufactured in April 1980 and was first registered as VH-HOV in March 1986. It was flown from 1980 to 2012 at many locations in SA and Victoria including Monarto, the Barossa and the Riverland. It was donated to SAAM by Ms Rosemary Hanson on 16 December 2014, and is currently in storage pending preparation of a suitable display area.
History of Type
Kavanagh has been making hot air balloons for 45 years, moving into the industry by chance after assisting the Sydney University Balloon Club in 1968 with transporting their balloons. His first balloon took to the air in 1969, and by 1979 he was in the balloon manufacturing industry full-time, making some 500 balloons over the years.
The baskets use South East Asian cane and the fabric for the canopy is from South Africa – a single canopy requires some 200sq m and consists of around 800 panels. There is also a gas burner and fuel tanks, and a balloon takes around three months to make.
Engine : Hot air burner
Take-off Weight : 294kg – basket / burners 76kg, 4 full gas bottles
Envelope Capacity : 2,190 cubic metres
Capacity : Pilot plus up to 3 passengers
Crew : 1 pilot
THE TERRAFLY 10-0571
Single engine ultralight aircraft
History of 10-0571
The Terrafly is an original design ultralight aircraft built under the provisions of ANO 95-10. In developing this aircraft over 19 years, designer Kevin McLeod set out to produce a simple, rugged ‘back to basics’ machine that he hoped would be fun to fly. Work started on the project in 1984.
The open cockpit has an airspeed indicator, altimeter, a dual CHT/EGT gauge, compass, clock, a G-meter, a Hobbs Hour Meter and fuel sight gauge.
Only one example of the Terrafly was built. It was not test-flown and so information on its performance has never been established.
Engine: Rotax 377 35 hp
Cruising Speed: 55 kt (100 kph) estimated
Maximum take-off weight: 225 kg
Length: 5.54 m
Wingspan: 7.62 m
Height: 2.6 m
Capacity: 1 pilot
SCHNEIDER GRUNAU IV
Single seat sailplane
History of VH-GDV
VH-GDV , construction number 7, was built in 1955. Over the years it was operated by several owners in NSW and was purchased by Richard Geytenbeek in the 1990s at which time it had accumulated 971 hours and 2,457 landings.
VH-GDC was donated to SAAM by Richard and Susan Geytenbeek and Maurice McKenney in August 2019. It is currently in storage, but will be displayed in Hangar 1, suspended next to our other glider, the Hall Cherokee II.
Harry Schneider’s first aircraft built in Australia after immigrating from Germany was the Grunau Baby, a wooden sailplane with fabric covering, first flown in January 1953. The Grunau IV was an evolution of this type, redesigned with a fully enclosed cockpit and tapered wings. The Gruneau IV was the final development of the Grunau single seat type by Harry Schneider in Australia.
Weight : Empty 170 kg (375 lb) Maximum take-off 250 kg (551 lb)
Length : 6.09 m (20 ft 0 in)
Wingspan : 13.6 m (44 ft 6 in) m
Maximum Glide Ratio : 17 at 60 km/h (37 mph)
Crew : 1 pilot
NORTHROP SHELDUCK KD2-R5 RAN Serial N10-53152
Single Engine Remotely Controlled Target Drone
The Royal Australian Navy used the Shelduck KD2-R5 in the 1960s and 1970s as target drones for gunnery practice. N10-53152 survived and, following retirement from the Navy, came to SAAM in June 2004. It is on display the main hangar next to the Jindivik and Canberra.
History of Type
During World War II the US armed forces required a target drone for gunnery practice and Northrop developed a radio controlled drone, producing over 15,000 during the war. A development of the wartime drone, the Shelduck KD2-R5, was designed in 1946 and first flew in 1947, with over 60,000 produced and operated by eighteen nations, including Australia. The Royal Australian Navy used the Shelduck in the 1960s and early 1970s. Interestingly, Northrop evolved into Northrop Grumman which produces the MQ-4C Triton high altitude, long endurance remotely piloted aircraft which will join the P-8 Poseidon early in the next decade to complete the of maritime surveillance systems capability for the RAAF.
Engine : 1 x McCullogh 0-100-2 piston engine of 100hp driving a 2 blade wooden propeller
Maximum Take-off Weight : 163kg
Length : 3.85m
Wingspan : 3.5m
Height : 0.76m
Maximum Speed : 360km/h (190 knots)
Range : 360km
Crew : Remotely piloted
OTHER AIRCRAFT IN STORAGE
- Blue Steel
- Fokker DR1 Triplane – 80% scale replica of WWI fighter/scout aircraft